21 June 2012

Ripple Baby Blanket Pattern

Here we go, I'm putting this out there as a pattern in case you too would are interested in making a baby blanket to match this vintage set (also on ravelry here).   My blanket is ravelled here and blogged about here.

The premise of this blanket is taking the last row of the cardigan from the vintage baby set and adapting it into a blanket.  Not terribly difficult, but I know some people like things written down proper like.
 

Ripple Baby Blanket Pattern

Materials
You could use any yarn/hook combo you like.  I used Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 4 ply (Baby Wool) and a 3.5mm hook.

I've used UK terms. 
Foundation row: fdc a multiple of of 23 plus 20.
Row 1: ch 3, tr into next 9 fdc, 3 tr into next fdc, tr into next 10 fdc, *sk 2 fdc, tr into next 10 fdc, 3 tr into next fdc, tr into next 10 fdc**, repeat from * to ** to end. turn.
Row 2: ch 3, tr into blo of 3rd st, tr into blo of next 8 st, 3 tr into next st, tr into blo of next 10 st, *sk 2 st, tr into blo of next 10 st, 3 tr into next st, tr into blo of next 10 st**, repeat from * to ** to end. turn.
Row 3 and all subsequent rows: repeat row 2.

Edging:
To make a nice square blanket I straightened the edges.
Row 1:
Top edge:  ch 4, 2 dtr, 4 tr, 3 htr, 3 dc, *3 htr, 4 tr, 2 dtr, 1 dtr2tog, 2 dtr, 4 tr, 3 htr, 3dc**, repeat from * to ** to last 10 st, 3 htr, 4 tr, 3 dtr.
Side edge:  dc.  (I haven't seen a tutorial for crocheting down the side of crochet, but what I do is 2 dc in the side of each tr and 3ch at the start of each row - try to do it in the same place for each stitch for a nice neat effect)
Bottom edge: ch 1, dc, *3 htr, 4 tr, 5 dtr, 4 tr, 3 htr, 2 dc**,  repeat from * to ** to last 21 st, 3 htr, 4 tr, 5 dtr, 4 tr, 3 htr, dc.
Side edge:  dc.
Row 2: dc around, with 3 dc in each corner.  You may find it hepful to place a stitch marker in the centre dc of your 3dc corners.
Repeat row 2 until you have your desired width of border.

End off, weave in ends, and block if desired.  I found my edging rolled up a bit, so I wet blocked it.

Change colours whenever you like for stripes, my version was 10 rows of white with 4 rows of pink, and the edging .
 

I also have a pattern for a matching beanie, if you'd like to check it out click here.


I've only made this pattern once, so please let me know if you have any issues with the pattern - I'm more than willing to answer any questions, and I would love to see your FOs should you make your own!

Also listed on Ravelry here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment