03 February 2013

Tanya does movies: January

January is over, so I'm sure you've been hanging out to know what movies I watched last month...

The Hobbit:  An Unexpected Journey (2012)
Well, this was a must see, obviously.  It was good, I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away.  It was just, more of the same you know?  Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but, you know, meh been to Middle Earth, done that adventure thing.  Have you seen An Unexpected Briefing?  NO?  Well, here you go:
Dave (1993)
So, in December, we watched the Hunger Games, and we also watched the extra features.  And in said extra features, director Gary Ross kept banging on about Dave and Big (see below), being films he worked on.  Funny he didn't mention Seabiscuit (which I haven't seen) or Pleasantville (which I have and love), but only Dave and Big.  Then I felt like watching Dave and Big.  Do you ever do that?  It's like going down the rabbit hole of films.  So, Dave was was really good!  I'd seen it before, but yonker bonkers ago.  Wow Kevin Kline is awesome.  He really really is.
Have yourself some presidential coffee.
Big (1988)
See comments above re going down the rabbit hole of movies.  Tom Hanks, where the hell have you been lately?  This movie was freaking awesome.  An oldie but a goodie, that I know I've seen a few times before, but happy to watch again.
Soapdish (1991)
And further down the rabbit hole, here is another Kevin Kline movie I hadn't seen.  Also a youthful RDJ doing a fab job.  A quirky movie about a bunch of soap stars back stabbing each other, and other miscellaneous shenanigans.
These are soaps, in case you were wondering about what the connection was.
Django Unchained (2012)
I saw this movie twice last month because once was not enough to take it all in!  I know there are heaps of articles on the internet (just Google that shit) about whether or not this movie is offensive, but I am really not going to go into that.  For me, the performances were amazing, the themes addressed were thought-provoking and outrageous but all together it made for an amazing movie.  I can't pick an outstanding performer, each of Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio were amazeballs.  My new fave Tarantino I think.
You can be the owner of your very own LDiC sculpture!! 
The Craft (1996)
Ahhh it'd been too long since I last saw this movie.  Remember The Craft?  What a phenomenon.  Also, Fairuza Balk is in my favourite all time movie. You've all seen the craft, you know it's cool as hell man.  Cool as.
Where have you been all my life Menstrual Witch Pagan Goddess Art??
Hotel Transylvania (2012)
Man I love "kids" movies.  They are just super rad.  I don't know about you, but I watch movies for fun, and as such, prefer to watch movies that don't require the ol' brain matter to work too hard.  For this purpose, Hotel Transylvania was great!  Much better than I expected!  Lots of nods to the classic monsters.  Adam Sandler('s voice) was terrific!  Really loved his transylvanian accent, and also loved the way he moved/was designed.
Megamind (2010)
Another "kids" movie I wasn't expecting to like as much as I did.  You guys, this movie was so freaking cute.  It was just ridiculously D'awwwwwww! They did such a smashing job of making you sympathetic to the Megamind character.  I also love how he couldn't pronounce certain things?  Ha! classic.
Miami Connection (1987)
OMG.  This movie.  It's just one of those, so bad it's good movies.  BAD BAD acting.  Bad (read: non-existent)  plot.  Actually has a couple of really good, original songs in it.  Apply liberally with popcorn.  I'm not going to beat around the bush with this one, just check out the trailer:

And the pick this month... DJANGO UNCHAINED!  Duh, ya dinguses!

   **In case you didn't know, if you click on any of the images it will take you to their source!  Generally cool etsy items that you can probably buy.  Oh my goooooodddd! 


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the Hobbit! I especially really liked the second dwarf song ^_^

    I also really liked Megamind and I want to see Hotel Transylvania ... I love kids movies too! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many movies! I haven't seen most on this list, obviously that has to change!

    ReplyDelete