08 October 2012

The hunt for the ultimate Melbourne CBD eggs benedict: Overdraft Cafe

Last week's benny was at a cafe so classy they weren't even listed on urbanspoon... We'll I fixed that and now the whole world will know about...

Location: Overdraft Cafe
354 Flinders Lane
MELBOURNE, VIC, 3000
Ph: (03) 9629 5136




Overdraft Cafe is another of those little take away-ish places - you know, sandwiches on demand.  This place was also really busy, lots of regulars it seemed.  These places don't all do eggs benny, so we had to give it a go - and $7.80 including coffee!!  This was the reason we chose this place - what on earth would $7.80 eggs benny taste like??  We had to know!

Base: Some sort of toast.  I think the bread was Helgas.
Eggs:  Overcooked.  Not a runny yolk was seen at all that fateful day.  Plus a lot of the water from the pot was brought over to the dish, making everything damp, squishy and just unappetising. 
Sauce:  Not good.  I mean, the flavour was ok, but the consistency was really off.  It was watery and look how much they gave us, like a tablespoon? 
Ham:  You generally can't go wrong with ham, so Overdraft gets a tick in this box at least.
Price: $7.80 including coffee
Coffee:  Pretty rank, but not as undrinkable as last time.
Service:  Very very good, friendly.  All of the staff made an effort to say goodbye to us even though the place was really busy.  I would go back again for this reason, but for something standard, like toast. 
Other:  Served with a side of spinach.

Individual ratings:
Tanya:  2.5/10
The lesson learnt was:  When you see eggs benny and coffee for $7.80, keep walking.  I feel terrible giving such a low score, but this is the first time I've ever struggled to actually eat eggs benny. Each element would have been ok, but because the eggs weren't drained properly it made the bread all gooey, which is kind of gross.  But as the adage goes, you get what you pay for!
Lil sis:  2/10
Today's Eggs Benny lived up to the true definition of cheap & nasty! Cheap white bread tiny over cooked eggs, not even enough hollandaise to compliment the dish and the ham was meh! It was an overall disappointing experience for me and I will not ever be returning to this café.... I still ate the whole thing coz I was hungry and it was cheap so I didn't care ya dingus!

And how does that look on the benedict-o-meter?  Rounded up to 2.5/10 Benedicts!








Check out my map to see the other eggs benny locations lil sis and I have checked out.

Overdraft Cafe on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment