09 July 2013

Tanya does movies: June

Last month was a month of blockbusters, and not nearly as many retro movies?  Maybe that's a good thing!

Texas Chainsaw (2013)
The Partner was on my case to watch this and now I wish I'd seen it sooner.  It's meant to be a direct sequel to the original  and picks up directly from the girl escaping.  I really enjoyed it - it gave a bit of depth (I know it's a crazy horror movie so only for a given value of "depth") particularly giving certain characters motivation for doing what they do.

Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)
A very meh movie.  It was ok, made for kids.  Ewan McGregor was the highlight, his character was very good.  It also has that dude from Warm Bodies in it.  And I generally like the whole kings/queens/princesses thing.


I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)
I had no idea what this was about before we started watching.  I didn't even see the cover of the movie, so I thought it was about cigarettes somehow.  I figured with Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor it would surely be good.  And it really really was.  Super weird but also extremely touching, definitely worth a watch.

The Proposal (2009)
Oh god this movie made me throw up in my mouth a little.  Well, I should have known better because romantic comedies are going to be pretty disgusting.  Well, it was good for what it was.  I really wish Sandra Bullock would do some cooler movies rather than the usual, and Ryan Reynolds, you should know better!

VHS 2 (2013)
I hadn't seen the first one and you really don't need to.  This is an anthology of stories, each one capturing some a terrifying tale on tape, and then watched by some unsuspecting innocents who happen upon the abandoned tapes.  There's a wide variety of stories, including about demons, aliens and zombies.
Yes, this is a birdhouse made of VHS tapes.  What else could you possible do with them?

Men in Black 3 (2012)
Josh Brolin does a fine fine job as young Agent K.  Quite enjoyable, I'm sure you've seen the previous movies so expect more of the same.
Ok, a very tenuous link to  MiB3, but what a rad picture right?

Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)
Dammit I can't believe I haven't watched Star Trek apart from the recent movies.  How rad are the movies?  I loved these movies.  Simon Pegg was brilliant.  As was Benedict Cumberpatch.  I didn't even think of Sherlock, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to think of him as a different character. Loved it.
This is a DIY project - make your own star trek tshirt! 
The Taint (2010)
This movie wins 'The most ridiculous movie I watched in June 2013' award.  I can't even describe it.  I'll try though.  So the water gets 'tainted' with a disease (?) which only effects the male population, which makes them, overly attracted to females (? trying to keep it clean - btw the movie is pretty crude).  It's up to one school kid who for some reason has a gun to save the world.  This one also falls into the 'So-bad-it's-good' pile, if you like that sort of thing.

Ninja Assassin (2009)
If you like crazy ninja action (really, who doesn't) you'll like this movie.  Apparently a spin off (?) of Speed Racer, which I love, this movie tells the story of a young boy recruited into a crazy ninja lifestyle from very young, only to turn his back on his fellow ninjas, who don't appreciate that very much.
This rad hoop was made by the one and only Lisa from Tea and Craft!  
Man of Steel (2013)
I went into this movie with low low low expectations, so was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it!  Partner (a comic-book aficionado) didn't like a lot of it, but in terms of the character he agreed that they did Superman a justice.  Still no contest between this and Christopher Reeve, the very embodiment of Superman forever and ever, but still a good movie.  Amy Adams was a rad Lois too.  Oh, one complaint, where the frick was Jimmy?


Escape from Planet Earth (2013)
A kids movie.  You know by now that I love kids movies, so that's not a bad thing, but this one was very average, even judigng against my low low standards.  Alien race responds to distress call on Earth, gets captured by the MiB and tries to escape.  Sounds more exciting than it was.


Waterworld (1995)
Kevvvvviinnnnn Kossstttneerrrr!  Such a great movie, I don't know why it gets such a bad rap.  It's like Mad Max on water, how could that be a bad thing?  The one thing I don't get - you think a dude with gills would be, like, an asset in a world of water, but nooooo everyone wants to kill him.  People suck!

And the pick of the month?  Star Trek was very very good, but I Love you Phillip Morris really got to me.

~Tan


Unless otherwise stated, all pictures randomly found on etsy.  Click the picture to see the original listing to buy the rad stuff.



1 comment:

  1. I really liked Star Trek and I so want to make that shirt now! P.S. Thanks for featuring my ninja hoop! ^_^

    ReplyDelete