05 August 2013

Tanya does movies: July

Time to recap you on the movies I watched last month, Lolcat style.

Super (2010)
Partner had been on my back for ages to watch this, and why the frick didn't I?  It was a lot better than I thought, with Rainn Wilson as the actually quite scary 'super' hero, and Ellen Page doing her usual awesome self.  Another take on the 'real' super hero genre, I really enjoyed it.

Despicable Me (2010)
Catching up with animated movies I hadn't seen.  I thought this would be a lot better.  Although one of the characters did the nerdfighter sign, which was unexpected.

Morning Glory (2010)
I didn't expect to enjoy this movie as much as I did. I think that's the key to enjoying movies - keep your expectations low. Harrison Ford was the key takeaway from this movie - he was so hilariously grouchy I would recommend this movie just for that.

Admission (2013)
Hello Tina Fey, this is what you've been up to! Quite a good movie, hopefully it's not really like that is it? I personally don't get the concept of entrance essays, we don't have that here. Seems to legitimise discrimination? Anyway, enough of my half-baked outrage at systems I do not understand. Paul Rudd was also good.

World War Z (2013)
Hey I read the book before seeing a moovie *gold star*. I was actually disappointed. I kept waiting for stuff to happen, and nothing much ever did. Yeah there were billions of zombies, but I never really felt the threat? That sounds lame, I think the lack of gore really got to me. A very tame zombie movie. Nice idea, but nothing new.

Casper (1995)
Welcome to my childhood, where we had about 5 video tapes that were played over and over. Casper was one of them, and I hadn't watched it in so long I felt it was time to revisit it. As a child a lot of the cameos were lost on me, so it was fun to watch just to see Dan Aykroyd (kinda) reprising his role from Ghostbusters, along with brief glimpses of Mel Gibson, Clint Eastwood and Rodney Dangerfield. I still love this movie *sigh nostalgia*.

Arthur (1981)
When you get caught between the moon and New York City... the best that you can do... is fall in love.... Arthur's theme is a song that's regularly played on our mix CD's, and yet I had never seen the film. Happy to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially Dudley Moore's performance as the loveable drunk.

Arthur 2: On the Rocks (1988)
Wow, just wow. They just tried too hard and overshot the mark with this one. It was quite bad? Dudley Moore was still the stand out, but there were so many problems, it was just, bleh. My main problem was why that biatch wanted to marry him so much? Totes no motivation.

Arthur (2011)
OMG REMAKE! Despite the fact that I vomit into my mouth a little bit every time I see Rusell Brand, this movie was actually quite good. It remedied a lot of the problems of the original, mainly giving Susan movitvation as to why she is so desperate to marry Arthur. It was a bit overdone (as you would expect from Brand) but overall quite good. Brand is no match for Dudley Moore though.

The Flintstones (1994)
Yabba dabba doooo! I quite liked this movie. I like that the dinosaurs are puppets, and there's quite a bit of that breaking the fourth wall thing that Hanna Barbera loved doing so much. John Goodman is a great Fred, and I have a secret crush on Rick Moranis.

Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
Yet another cool cool movie that I'd never seen before. As the title suggests, it's about a babysitter who goes on adventures. Unintended adventures, sure, but those are the best kind. Just classic 80s fun and frivolity. Would recommend.

Romancing the Stone (1984)
Another awesomesauce 80s movie I'd neither heard about or seen. Fan-frickin-tastic. An indiana Jones-esque adventure movie with all that goes with it. Michael Douglas was super fantastic.

The Last Boy Scout (1991)
Bruce Willis playing... a cop. Have you seen this? Accurate. Anyway, really awesome movie. I especially loved Willis' 'de-affirmations' ie "you're a horrible person, everyone hates you". Aww.

They Live (1988)
Another movie that I shamefully had not seen before! Hey, freaky! Quite a good movie, interesting and not something that I have seen before. How good was the makeup? Especially for a move that is over 20 years old, it holds up very well.

9 (2009)
This one looked really good, and I was excited to watch it, but it just didn't do it for me. It might have been because the mysteriousness was not quite believeable. I dunno. Just soemthing off about it, but it was kinda cute to look at at least.

Bachelorette (2012)
Rebel Wilson was grossly under utilised in this film, but I really liked Isla Fisher and Kirsten Dunst. Isla Fisher does that ditzy girl so well, it's almost a crime. I was able to set aside my general anti-wedding movie feelings and quite enjoyed this movie for what it was - a stupid unrealistic set of circumstances that must be remedied before the big day.

Evil Dead (2013)
Heyyyy we got this on Blu Ray and it's super duper epic! The special features were especially good, any chance I get to see Bruce Campbell talking about what he's been doing and what he thinks is a huge plus. He also spoke about how he didn't want anyone trying to emulate his awful acting from the orignal movie. Aw.

Four Lions (2010)
This movie was quite funny, even if a little unsettling knowing that it was made prior to the Boston bombings, yet depicts similar (albeit in a comedically convoluted way) events. Seriously, spooky. But a good movie if you don't take it too seriously (which you shouldn't). Here is a much more eloquent review of this movie which I would recommend.

The Wolverine (2013)
What's not to like? Everyone likes Wolverine right? I expected it to be good and was not disappointed. It wasn't spectacular, mind, but enjoyable so long as you like comic book movies, which I'm sure you do. So yeah, claws out and mutany good times all round. *SNIKT!*

The Muppets' Wizard of Oz (2013)
I love me some Muppets, and I'm in the process of collecting all of the Muppets' works. The Oz take is not their finest work, but it has all the muppety elements like the silly jokes, plus a lot of things from the books that you don't actually see used very often (the green spectacles, the magic cap of the flying monkeys). I really liked it.


Justice League:  The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)
DC may not have their act together on the theatrical front, but they sure can put an animated movie together.  I don't read a lot of the comics, but I do enjoy injesting comics in their animated form.  It's the best form really, because anything can happen in animation, where movies are restricted, even with CGI.  Anyway, Flashpoint is apparently some famous storyline, and it was fully sick mate.  It was really cool to see the good buys go crazy, and the different take on Batman was awesome.  Highly recommend.

Aaaaannnnddd the pick of July was.... Adventures in Babysitting, followed closely by The Last Boy Scout .

What did you watch last month? Do you have any recommendations for me?

~Tan



1 comment:

  1. I really liked the Wolverine movie! I don't think it was the greatest movie ever, but as long as I see some mutant fighting action then I'm happy ~_^

    ReplyDelete