19 October 2013

Colette Meringue Skirt: oranges

As with my crochet and knitting, I'm finding myself with more and more WIPs on the go at a time.  I should not have expected anything else, it's in my nature and one cannot ignore one's nature.  Anyway, I was working fairly monogamously on a sensible black pencil skirt for work, and then I got up to this pesky hand sewing bit when I suddenly felt the need for something else.

I recently purchased the Colette Sewing Handbook, and picked up some cute  printed cotton from Spotties for $3 a metre.  The decision was really made for me.

First off, it was a real treat to make something not black.  I should have known what a toll sewing in black would be, given I feel the same when knitting/crocheting with it.  It makes everything harder.  So white thread and a fun print really lifted me!

And what's a novice to do but make modifications?  That's the sensible thing to do isn't it?  I lengthened my skirt 5cm and, more ambitiously, rather than making separate waistband and hem facing, I made a full facing.  I attached the fusible interfacing for the waistband to the reverse side of the facing.  I sewed the left side of the front and facing pieces together as per the pattern, and then with right sides together, sewed the top and bottom of the skirt making a big tube (it must be a tube to enable you to turn it right way round - I learned the hard way - ie rip rip rip).

I also inserted the zip into one side before turning right way leaving you only to awkwardly insert the other side of the zip.   (btw, the Colette directions for enclosing the zip into the facing are excellent).   Everything gets a bit difficult sewing that final seam up, and there's a bit of hand sewing involved (which I executed poorly) to fully finish the skirt but I really like how neat (for a given value of neat) it turned out - I don't have an overlocker and didn't want ugly edges staring at me, and I did not want to mess about with catch stitch, I find it weak and even more unfinished.

Next time, I solemnly swear that I will make more effort to get the zip right.  Ugh look at it.

Pattern:  Meringue Skirt from the Colette Sewing Handbook
Size:  I cut a straight 14.
Fabric:  What I can only assume is quilting cotton from the remnants table at Spotties.  $3 a metre!  Used pretty much all of it - note pattern calls for 2.1m, and I had enough for my full facing (I did have to have a centre seam in the back facing.  Like you can tell!)
Notions:  9" invisible zip.
Modifications:  Lengthened by 5cm, omitted the waistband and hem facing in favour of a full facing.

New skills acquired:

  • dem scollops!
  • full facing on a skirt!
  • enclosed zip! 
On pattern review here.



  1. Love the skirt! And it looks great on you :)

  2. Wow, your skirt looks amazing! You gotta love those Spotlight remnants! ^__^ I love the scallops, and it looks so lovely on you. Very spring-like! ^__^